Interior Bits Round 2 – tach and Steering Column Surround
On the plastic surround — JBWeld to the rescue. Filled up all the cracks and mended one broken piece with JBWeld, slathering plenty of extra on the backside. Then I made a metal reinforcement plate for the area where the tach bracket would be screwed on. Again, lots of JBWeld for reinforcement. I built up the two plastic ‘towers’ that had broken inside the surround – this let me source two screws to attach the surround to the column. The nuts you see in the picture are just there to guide the screws — the screws thread into bosses on the column after they pass through the nuts. Last I added some black foam to seal up the end of the surround nearest the dash — again, to keep things from moving around. It doesn’t look pretty on the inside – but no one (except all ya’ll) sees that. It’s tight, quiet and doesn’t move around any longer. Really happy with the result – especially since it’s almost impossible to find replacements.